Impact of State Budget Cuts on Virginia Arts Commission
September 20, 2009RICHMOND, VA — Virginia state government continues to face significant financial challenges as Governor Tim Kaine releases his budget reduction plan for the 2009-2010 year.
Effective immediately, the Virginia Commission for the Arts grant funds will be reduced by slightly more than 15 percent.
The commission awards 90 percent of its grant funds in June and pays more than 85 percent in the first month of the fiscal year. As a result, although the commission board and staff would like to make this spending reduction without affecting grants that have already been awarded, it is not possible.
The commission is taking the following actions immediately:
* The second payments on the 2009-2010 General Operating Support Grants, Projects Grants, and Services to the Field Grants are canceled.
* The 2009-2010 Teacher Incentive Grant program has been canceled.
* The 2009-2010 Artist Fellowships are canceled.
* No further grants will be awarded for Writers in Virginia in 2009-2010.
* There will be no wait list funds for the Performing Arts Touring Assistance Program in 2009-2010.
The Art Works for Virginia conference will take place in Richmond as planned on Jan. 26-28, 2010. Registration information will be distributed later this fall.
Please contact the commission staff at (804) 225-3132 if you have questions.