Marketing the Arts: Design Consultants
By ANGELA WAMPLER | A! MAGAZINE | May 25, 2010Coburn Creative
• Lee Coburn is an award-winning designer and illustrator with more than 19 years of experience. He is an honors graduate of the Atlanta College of Art (now the Savannah College of Art and Design in Atlanta) with a BFA in Electron Imagery. During a 15-year stint in Atlanta, Coburn was employed by corporations, small design shops, ad agencies, and a video game company — working his way up from production designer to creative director. In 2004 he moved to Glade Spring, Va., where he founded Coburn Creative. He teaches a web design class at Emory & Henry College. He served four years on Glade Spring's Town Council and was recently elected Town Mayor.
• Amber Brown is from Bristol, Va. Her interest in visual communication began when she was barely able to wield a crayon. An attraction to product packaging, memorization of fonts, and a mounting collection of "visually cool" junk mail led to a double major in Graphic Design and Mass Communications from Emory & Henry College. She joined Coburn Creative in 2007.
• Jason Willis is from Wythe County, Va. As an avid public speaker throughout school, he became fascinated with the power of communication. This led him to more creative and complex communication explorations, such as painting and photography. He graduated from Emory & Henry College, where he majored in art with a graphic design focus and minored in visual communications.
Hillhouse Graphic Design
• Jane Hillhouse has more than 25 years experience as a communication professional. An award-winning graphic designer, she is a graduate of Central Missouri State University, where she studied art, Spanish, and string music. Community involvement has included service on the board of directors for Symphony of the Mountains, American Advertising Federation of Northeast Tennessee, and United Way of Greater Kingsport. She directs music at her church and plays the guitar, viola and violin.
• Steve Newton is the interactive media strategist and video producer. As Ringling College of Art & Design's new media creative director, Newton pioneered one of the first interactive development methodologies. For the past decade, he has produced award-winning projects for such clients as Serengeti Eyewear, Xerox, and others.
• Jimmy Caswell, senior designer, has nearly 20 years experience in graphic design. In 2005, his design for the 75th anniversary of Bristol's Paramount Center for the Arts was selected for use. He also designed Kingsport's Fun Fest logos in 2002, 2004, and 2006. He studied art and design at Berea College in Kentucky and, for fun, he paints, creates collage art, and plays drums.
• Jay Huron is Hillhouse's art director and web designer. He is a graduate of East Tennessee State University with nearly 10 years experience in new media and graphic design.
• Martha Jones, associate art director and project coordinator, has more than 20 years experience in graphic design and the printing industry, and 15 years as a member of the Hillhouse team.
— Design & Marketing at Area Colleges
Jane Hillhouse, center, is surrounded by members of her design team: from left, Martha Jones, Jay Huron, Jimmy Caswell, and Sandy Vowell.