Milligan Students Receive Arts-related Awards
May 01, 2011MILLIGAN COLLEGE, TN — Milligan College's annual awards convocation was held on Thursday, April 28, 2011.
Students receiving arts-related awards:
• The Outstanding Student Scholarship Award for Music, which is presented to the person deemed to have the most consistently exhibited excellence in music courses, ensembles and personal performance, was presented to Lucas Schmidt of Jonesborough, Tenn.
• Shauna Slemp of Fall Branch, Tenn. earned the Ross Bader Concert Choir Award.
• The Performing and Visual Arts Outstanding Student Scholarship was awarded to Emma Rees of Redford, Mich. The Outstanding Senior Fine Arts Award was presented to Ashley Fennell of North Baltimore, Ohio.
• The Women's Chorale Award was presented to Melanie Richards of Knoxville, Tenn. Erika Hiteshew of Bel Air, Md., earned the Orchestra Award. Alex Henderson of Ooltewah, Tenn., earned the Concert Choir Award.
Milligan awards for Juried Art Exhibition
Milligan College also recognized several students for their outstanding work in the college's annual Juried Art Exhibition, which opened April 25, 2011. The exhibition showcases 52 of the year's best student art, photography, sculpture and digital media pieces. The juror was Dick Nelson, owner of Nelson Fine Art and Tree House Gallery in Johnson City, Tenn. The exhibit is on display now through Monday, May 2, in the Milligan Art Gallery, located in the lower level of Derthick Hall.
• Awards of Excellence were presented to: senior Danielle Metz of Johnson City, Tenn.; senior Caitlyn Wise of Plumtree, N.C.; senior Marshall Reid of Bremen, Ga.; freshman Meaghan Roland of Lexington, Ky.; senior Ashley Fennell of Findlay, Ohio; and junior Daniel Jones of Columbus, Ind.
• Awards of Merit were presented to: senior Danielle Metz of Johnson City, Tenn.; senior Kara Patterson of Gastonia, N.C.; senior Caitlyn Wise of Plumtree, N.C.; freshman Meaghan Roland of Lexington, Ky.; senior Ashley Fennell of Findlay, Ohio; and junior Morgan Simmons of Ashburn, Va.
For more information about arts events at Milligan, visit www.milligan.edu.