Johnson City: Arts Council Gallery
Offering a variety of activities and services
May 31, 2011Johnson City Area Arts Council Gallery
300 E. Main St., Suite 102 • Johnson City, Tenn.
423-928-8229 • www.arts.org
For 25 years, the Johnson City Area Arts Council (JCAAC) has served the arts and cultural communities of Johnson City and the surrounding five-county area of Carter, Greene, Johnson, Unicoi and Washington.
JCAAC has had gallery exhibition space since 1994. In 2008 the office and gallery space moved from Boone Street to the King's Centre on Main Street, in the same block as Nelson Fine Art and the Hands On! Museum. In the new location, there are two gallery spaces and a gift shop featuring handmade pieces by regional artisans. JCAAC schedules 12-14 shows per year. Exhibition requests are reviewed by arts council staff and a volunteer gallery committee. To apply, artists must provide samples of artwork and be a member of JCAAC.
The JCAAC offers a wide variety of services:
• a nationally recognized, annual Arts in Education Conference for public school teachers that is now in its 24th year;
• a Student Ticket Subsidy for the Arts program in public schools;
• ARTS CORPS, a free, after-school, arts education program that works with kids from low-income families;
• Arts Build Communities (ABC) grants to nonprofit agencies through the Tennessee Arts Commission;
• and entertainment opportunities through arts in the park and performances by internationally-known artists, such as British pianist Martin Jones, commedia del arte artist Matthew Wilson, and guitarists Carlos Bendfeldt and Andreas Kapsalis.
>> Tipton Gallery