Summer Camps: Art
April 24, 2012ART
ONE OF A KIND GALLERY
Bristol, Tenn. • 423-652-2648
• JUNE 19-22 & JULY 17-20: Two One of a Kind Art Camps for ages 8-12 will be held Tuesday-Friday from 1-4 p.m. Both camps will offer tie-dye, reverse tie-dye, batik, drawing, painting, and bookmaking, as well as making pottery by hand and on the potter's wheel. Gallery owner Mimi Kind says, "The pottery component is for beginners as well as kids who have taken classes before. This is our fourth year of doing camps!" Limit 12 participants. $125 ($110 if you sign up by May 31).
ROOT STUDIO SCHOOL
Johnson City, Tenn. • 423-753-8398
• MAY 14-18: Painting the Old Town is a five-day intensive focusing on landscapes in historic Jonesborough, Tenn. $375.*
• JUNE 4-8: Painting Water is a five-day intensive exploring mountain creeks, rivers and lakes in East Tennessee. Participants will commute short distances from the studio to the painting locations. Carpooling can be arranged during a Sunday evening introduction and and slideshow/talk. $400.*
• JUNE 11-15: Especially For Kids (ages 8-12) will focus on drawing, painting, and learning about art, Monday-Friday, 1:30-4 p.m. Tom and Peggy Root say they were inspired to offer this program by their eight-year-old son's interest in art to his age group. $100 includes materials.
* Summer intensives (from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.) are designed for adults and mature teenagers who have painting experience.
DANCE: Bristol Ballet, Highlands Ballet & Kingsport Ballet