Symphony of the Mountains announces new season
July 21, 2014KINGSPORT, TN. — Symphony of the Mountains Music Director Cornelia Laemmli Orth announces the 2014-2015 season entitled Musical Mosaic.
With a variety of music, artists, sounds and styles, the elements of the new season create a mosaic with something appealing to everyone.
A few of the many highlights are:
• An elegant, yet lighthearted, outdoor concert at Allandale Mansion in July,
• An Appalachian version of Strauss' famous operetta Die Fledermaus ("The Bat)" in October,
• A concert embodying inclusion for children with and without disabilities as part of the "eXceptional Sounds" concert in November,
• Holiday concerts in December,
• An award-winning bluegrass trio, The Krüger Brothers, in February, and
• Mozart's "Requiem" performed during the "From Sadness to Hope" concert in March
The Summer Concert Series includes a return to the Allandale Mansion in Kingsport, Tennessee, Sunday, July 27 at 6 p.m. Everyone is invited to bring their family, chairs, blankets and picnics for this fun and family-friendly evening.
A guest appearance by principle double bassist for the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, Laura Snyder, is slated, but not to play her instrument. Snyder will perform several traditional spirituals and her sonorous, contralto voice has been alleged to bring down the house with fire and moral magnificence.
Other repertoire for the summer concerts includes:
• Light classics such as Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" and Brahms' Hungarian Dance No. 5, G Minor;
• Much-loved pops like the medley from "Pirates of the Caribbean," "A Tribute to Louis Armstrong" and music from "Guys and Dolls";
• And patriotic favorites such as "The Star Spangled Banner" and "A Tribute to the Armed Forces."
Tickets are $15 in advance by calling (423) 392-8423 or visiting www.SymphonyoftheMountains.org. Tickets will be $20 at the door.
This concert will also be performed Friday, July 25 at 6 p.m. at Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock, N.C., with tickets available through the Blowing Rock Chamber of Commerce and Saturday, July 26 at 8:15 p.m., with free admission at the University of Virginia's College at Wise in Wise, Va.